Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote that "A dream is more powerful than a thousand realities." Resolutions, commitments, goals...they fail me every year because as soon as I call it one of those titles, they become a responsibility. An obligation. Like a candle flame snuffed out, all imagination, anticipation, and excitement are suddenly vanquished from the idea because of the simple but not, by any rate, inconsequential act of bestowing upon it the title of "Resolution" or "Commitment."
Therefore, 2014 is instead not going to be a year of resolutions, commitments, or goals...but dreams. Dreams inspire. Dreams create. Dreams instill passion and desire and the pursuit of something beyond ourselves. So here's to 2014 and dreaming big!
14 Dreams for 2014:
1. Read one book a month..and finish it
2. Practice Japanese more
3. Learn something new
4. Do something creative at least once a month - painting, drawing, dancing, etc.
5. Waste less time online and spend more time with people, hobbies, etc.
6. Exercise: Run or bike at least 30 minutes 6 days a week
7. Diet: Eat more fruits and veggies and less sugar/processed foods, drink less coffee
8. Surf more
9. Go hiking at least once a month - hike Stairway, Koko Head and Makapuu
10. Maintain better relationships with friends and family
11. Read the Bible in a year and memorize one Scripture verse a week
12. Decide on a church
13. Spend at least 30 minutes a day with the Lord, journal every day, keep my Sabbath
14. Dream big, pray more and live life the way God intended- with an eternal perspective that this is not all there is, that we have been created for far bigger and better purposes, but even though we are not yet Home, we can live in the freedom that we have been given through Christ our Savior, who came to give us life, and life to the fullest not just in Heaven, but here on Earth.